Sunday, October 16, 2005

Its Really Weird

I thought once my son hit teenhood I would never see him again.
You know, except when he wanted money. But it appears that he
actually does want to talk a lot. Mostly about girl troubles. Not
that he EVER listens to what I say or BELIEVES anything I have
to tell him about how girls think. Even though, you know, I am
one.

Mostly, he likes to discuss these things over food. And herein lies
the rub. I love food. I love all food. I in particular love ethnic
foods of all types. My son has a list of about twenty foods from
which he will eat. I'm just kidding. 22. This is how our conver
sations go. You know, when we're trying to decide where to eat.

Mom: What's your problem with Mexican food. After all, your
grandmother is Mexican. (I mean, not really, she's Mexican-
American, but liking Mexican food should be, you know, in his
blood, from my perspective.)

Dylan: I know, but she never really cooked it when I was growing
up. So I don't know.

Mom: Well, what about Chinese food, what's your problem with
Chinese food?

Dylan: I don't have a problem with Chinese food.

Mom: So, can we go eat Chinese today?

Dylan: No.

Mom: Why not.

Dylan: By not having a problem with Chinese food I meant that
if Kung Pao Chicken were to apply for a job with me I wouldn't
discriminate upon the basis of culinary genre.

Mom: You don't own a business.

Dylan: True, I guess that makes it a moot point. Let's go to Pizza
Hut.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you and I would have a similar conversation when it would come to finding a place to eat, except my list of things is probably less than 22!

SappyChick said...

Hopefully, it's something he'll grow out of. My husband never wants to eat from where I want to eat. He doesn't eat vegetables, except for salsa and spaghetti sauce!

Sydney said...

Geez. What is WITH all of you finicky people? Food is GOOD! Broaden your horizons! Live a little! LOL

Thomas J Wolfenden said...

Pizza hut...

You know, I actually had a Spam phase when I was about 12 or 13... I ate nothing but spam for about a year...

Sydney said...

That somehow diminishes you just a little in my mind, Tom...

SappyChick said...

Hey! I hear ya! I would love to...

Except Indian food, I've tried that. BLEH

Sydney said...

I'm not huge on Indian food either. BUT, even with that, I'll eat it.

Wontar said...

Well, he could've suggested IHOP. When the first word is "international", you know you've got some culinary delights from across the globe! Horizons don't get much more broad than that! :)

Thomas J Wolfenden said...

Syd, that was quite a while ago...

Denise said...

Deciding on what to eat is a very crucial decision. Make the wrong choice and you'll spend the rest of your day on the toilet.

Sydney said...

Right Wontar. As if. We would have an IHOP here. An IHOP would actually BROADEN the choices here. That's how bad it is...

Tom, I'm still a little suspicious.

Denise, true.

AndyT13 said...

He eats AND talks. Don't complain. :-) BTW I hope you're feeling better lately.

Sydney said...

Darius - ok, but... he's almost EIGHTEEN. shouldn't he be branching out a little by now? He's way past the wandering off in the woods by himself and getting poisoned by berries stage. I think...

Anonymous said...

Wow... I haven't read your blog in a while. But I'm JUST like that. I've NEVER eaten that much. I probably have WAYY less than 22 foods that I will eat!! Its wierd because my boyfriend is TOTALLY addicted to food. We can never figure out what to eat... ~Meagan

Sydney said...

Meagan, Can you and Dylan get married someday? I'm still holding out for that possibility. You know, after BOTH of you go to college and all.

JM said...

Well at least he discusses what he likes to eat. I have a 3 year old nephew that just likes the word "no" when it comes to eating anything except Cheetoes and sugar based, sugar treated fructose!!!

Ish said...

I love just about all kinds of food-- Mexican, Indian, Thai, Japanese.

The only food I won't eat is beets. They taste like dirt.

Sydney said...

I'm pretty versatile in my food choices too, Ish